Monday, August 8, 2016

Games Children Play

Of course, being a Physical Education teacher, I am always interested in what children are playing.  During their lunch/recess time, no matter which school we are visiting, I circulate the school yard watching.  In a previous blog, I noted that all over they play soccer.  From Emafini, Love Life Center to Grey and Northern Lights with an official ball or one made from trash.  Sometimes there are goals and at some just a couple of rocks.
 Another favorite game of the students is spinning tops.  Spinning tops have been around for a long time including in Colonial America.  There is a string around the top and when you throw the top down, you pull the string to make it turn.  I have also seen long jump roping.  At Grey and Kama schools, I was excited to see 4 square courts.  At Kamma, instead of a playground ball, they used a tennis ball.  Also, they used not only their hands to hit the ball, but theirs heads too!  While teaching some 7th grade students Chinese Jump Rope at Emafini, they demonstrated a rope game for me.  They put a third student in the rope and did jumps through 3 sides of the rope. I got some of it on video, but I will be investigating this when I go back this week.  I would love to bring the new variation of jumping back to the United States. 

Another game I have seen at Emafini is net ball.  A fifth grade teachers and her students is going to demonstrate for me.  I know this is similar to basketball with one of the biggest differences is that you don’t dribble the ball.  I can’t wait to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment