Monday, August 8, 2016

Global Education

North Carolina believes in a global education in order to prepare students to be work and world ready. I believe they are leading the way with language immersion classes, teacher exchanges, and Confucius Chinese classrooms. They believe that a global education is imperative in the 21st Century with the increasing international society and economy. 

I feel fortunate to be part of this type of school model by teaching at an International school.  We have teachers from many different countries. They bring a unique perspective not only their classrooms, but everyone around them.   The teachers try to incorporate a global component in their teaching.  We take part in workshops, committees, read and research in order to educate ourselves on bringing a global viewpoint to our classrooms.  

What I have learned, by taking part of this journey, is that it is not always enough to read about it.  By experiencing it, I feel better prepared to give my students firsthand knowledge, both the good and the bad, of what it is like in South Africa.  I can teach from my experiences, my pictures, videos, and artifacts instead of reciting someone else’s words.  Each of the other teachers with me here, bring a diverse viewpoint and will certainly bring a different perspective back. It has made us examine and reflect on our teaching. That is what truly makes this project an innovative and worthwhile endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment