Saturday, August 6, 2016

isiXhosa Lessons with Ron

As part of our SACHL (South Africa Culture, History and Literacy) project, we are taking language lessons. Our instructor is Ron Endley, a lecturer and isiXhosa teacher at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University. The class is called Survival isiXhosa.

The teachers have become the students!   What a nervous bunch of learners we become when we enter his classroom.  We sink down in our seats hoping that he does not call on us. Ron is very kind as we stumble over the clicks and pronunciations.  I have to admit, it is hard learning a new language.  I’m impressed by my colleagues.  They are much better than they think.  We work collaboratively, whispering words when someone is uncertain.  He has taught us over 60 words. I have tried to practice my new vocabulary on my students.  They giggle and shake their heads at me.  They are supportive in our learning too, but sometimes they have no idea what I am trying to say.

Today, we asked Ron to get down to the “nitty gritty”!  We had him translate for us some words to be used in the classroom. Listen – Mamelani.  Do you understand? – Uyaqonda? Sit down – Hlaleni phantsi. Open your book – Vulani iincwadi.  Where is your pencil? – Onayo ipensile?  I know many of us will be practicing these phrases at school tomorrow. And I want to apologize to Ron for any mistakes I have made in my blog!  Ndiyafika apha. Ndiyafunda.

No comments:

Post a Comment