Monday, August 22, 2016

Good Bye South Africa, Hello North Carolina

Fourteen very weary travelers returned to North Carolina Monday morning.  We were tired but very excited to back in Carolina.  It has been a wonderful experience, but of course, there is no place like home. 

 It is hard to put in to words how much I have learned and grown both personally and professionally since I left a month ago.  We talk about being a global school, community, state and country, but this opportunity has put things into perspective.  We are all people who want the best for our lives, families, and communities.   When we connect with others, we expand our learning of what it means to be part of the bigger picture. To me, it is a combination of things such as culture, history, politics, and environment (to name a few), that shape our lives, beliefs and make us who we are. In traveling to South Africa, I have created connections that in turn, have given me better appreciation of the world.  Before I went, I had my own preconceived beliefs and expectations of South Africa. What I found out is that my cultural norms are not necessary theirs.  I was constantly looking for similarities, but in order for me to learn and expand my knowledge, I needed to appreciate the differences instead!


Besides the personal changes, this trip has given me a deeper understanding of my role as an educator. I hope this difference in perspective will help me have a better understanding my students and their families. It has made me more open minded and able to appreciate the diversity in our world. I plan on modeling this to my students in order for them to learn that differences are to be appreciate and learned from, not judged and feared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment